- Department closed 26-27 May 2022-05-20
- New PhD Thesis: Sally Anderson Boström - “Closed Place, Open Word”: Reading the Postplantation in Earl Lovelace, Milton Murayama, and Ntozake Shange 2022-05-18
- New PhD Thesis: Julie Blomberg Gudmundsson - Time of Turmoil: Reading and Media Combination in the American Young Adult Novels Cathy’s Book, Skeleton Creek, and Endgame 2022-01-14
- New book - Erik Smitterberg: Syntactic Change in Late Modern English Studies on Colloquialization and Densification 2021-12-10
- New Book - Elsa Högberg (red.): Modernist Intimacies 2021-06-04
SINAS Research Seminar: "Writing in the Shadow of the State: Fictions of Governance in 21st Century US fiction”
Talking English and American Literature Seminar: Poetry Reading and Q&A with Holly Pester
Research Sseminar: “'So your kitchen radio broke down on you': The Relation between Word Frequencies, Lemmas and Grades in the Written Swedish National Tests of English for Upper Secondary School”
Work-in-Progress Seminar: "Leprechauns, lake monsters, and gullible husbands: the 13th century Death of Fergus"
Doctoral Defence: Sally Anderson Boström
New PhD Thesis: Sally Anderson Boström
Our Courses and Subjects
The department offers courses in English, American Studies and Celtic Studies. Three terms of English (A1-C1) may constitute a major in a Bachelor's Degree. We also offer a wide array of second-cycle courses.
We offer a BA programme in Global English Studies and an MA programme in English. The dapartment also participates in the university's teacher training programmes.
Conrad First is an open-access archive of the 200+ serials which first published the work of Joseph Conrad. Created by Stephen Donovan, it is sponsored by the Department of English, Uppsala University.
Now you can read Conrad the way his first audiences did, in the pages of newspapers and magazines alongside the latest news, feature articles, editorials, short stories, photographs, illustrations, competitions, weather forecasts, sporting results, financial reports, cartoons, and advertisements.