The Swedish Institute for North American Studies (SINAS) conducts research, offers courses and promotes the study of North America. It is the only institute of its kind in Sweden. Founded in 1985, we are a section within the Department of English and work closely with our colleagues in American literature at the department. We also serve as a resource for the larger community of scholars at Uppsala University interested in North America, and cooperate with scholars in education, the humanities, law, social sciences, and theology.
Staff and Affiliated Researchers
For more information about SINAS, our activities, and reserarch, please contact the director Professor Dag Blanck,
For information about specific research projects, please contact the individual researcher.
If you are interested in our courses in American studies and want to learn more you may contact the departmental study counselor.
- Dag Blanck, Professor and Director
- Markus Heide, Associate Professor
- Erik Åsard, Professor Emeritus
- Mark S. Weiner, Fulbright Chair 2018/19
- Kim Khavar Fahlstedt, Guest Researcher
- David Östlund, Guest Researcher
- Frida Stranne, Affiliated Researcher
- Adam Hjorthén, Affiliated Researcher
- Adam Gilbert, Affiliated Researcher
- Mikael Börjesson, Department of Education
- Margaretha Fahlgren, Department of Literature
- Danuta Fjellestad, Department of English
- Charles Parker, Department of Government
- Cecilia Wejryd, Department of Theology
- Bertil Wiman, Department of Law